STATUS: Closed / Reviewing / Interviewing
POSITION OPENING: Dean of Student Retention DEPARTMENT: Academic Affairs
DATE: February 20, 2013 POSITION: Full-time
FLSA STATUS: Exempt (Administrative) CLOSING DATE: March 22, 2013
POSITION SUMMARY: The Dean of Student Retention will be responsible for implementing a comprehensive, proactive intervention program to improve first and second year cohort retention, increase four-year graduation rates, and enhance campus wide communication and participation regarding student engagement and retention.
- Master's degree required; 1-3 years progressively responsible experience working in a university setting.
- Demonstrated knowledge of retention strategies; passion for working with college students; clear and demonstrable understanding of the basic goals of Jesuit education
- Proven experience required in coordinating group programs for retention, engagement, and wellness. Ability to self-start and self-monitor projects.
- Excellent computer skills and spreadsheet / database analysis. Ability to diagnose cause and effect and develop solutions to areas identified.
- Excellent written and verbal skills with the ability to interact with all levels of the university; ability to prepare presentations, instructional materials, and reports
- Ability to work flexible hours, including periodic evening / weekend events and possible overnight activities.
- Develop first year student success strategies, promote student academic preparedness, including summer orientation programs for students and families, making available knowledge of Financial Aid programs, Student Counseling, Campus Ministry and other campus student support services.
- Develop and facilitate a campus-wide "Student Concerns Team" for all students and enhance our early warning identification system that allows for campus-wide input concerning students who may be experiencing low grades, poor class attendance, low motivation, limited engagement and/or personal concerns that may prove detrimental to success.
- Improve and expand Student Support Services such as student use of tutoring and the ARC, web based services, and workshops for student success.
- Promote and increase Student engagement and satisfaction promoting student activities, athletics, resident life, academic support services, commuter services and campus ministry.
- Conduct student satisfaction surveys on a systematic basis, develop retention reports, analyze results and communicate regularly with the University Executive committee.
- Serve as a student advocate to develop, address, and resolve organizational concerns that hinder student success at all levels; communicate regularly with families of first year students.
- Coordinate personal and timely outreach to University students at-risk of leaving the University at any time before graduation.
- Investigate the need or possibility of offering summer bridge programs for academically underprepared students.
- Provide comprehensive orientation for full-time and part-time faculty to include student retention issues
- Require at-risk students to participate in a program that includes learning contracts & scheduled meetings with advisors.
- Examine the need to create a supplemental instruction program for courses/majors that have high rates of students who are non-pass and/or withdrawals.
- Conduct or supervise exit interviews with students who leave the University prior to graduation and analyze the information to inform retention strategies.
APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS: Application material must include:
- Letter of application describing your relevant experience
- Current resume
- Contact information for three to five references
Wheeling Jesuit University
Director of Human Resources or firstname.lastname@example.org
316 Washington Avenue
Wheeling WV 26003
AS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER, WE ENCOURAGE APPLICATIONS FROM QUALIFIED VIETNAM ERA VETERANS, DISABLED INDIVIDUALS, MINORITIES, AND WOMEN