STATUS: Closed / Reviewing / Interviewing
POSITION OPENING: Graduate Assistant – Area Coordinator
DEPARTMENT: Residence Life POSITION: Part-time (11-months)
ORIGINAL POSTING DATE: August 19, 2014 FLSA STATUS: Exempt (Administrator)
SEARCH RE-OPENED: October 24, 2014 CLOSING DATE: December 5, 2014
POSITION SUMMARY: The Graduate Assistant – Area Coordinator is a live-in position with supervisory responsibilities for multiple residence halls (ranging from 200-400 residents) and a staff of paraprofessionals Resident Assistants. Responsibilities include overall management of a residential community that facilitates a vibrant student experience grounded in intentional student development practice. Reports to Director of Residence Life.
- Bachelor’s degree and strong undergraduate leadership experience; enrollment in WJU graduate program.
- Prior residence hall living and leadership experience.
- Valid U.S. Driver’s License, good driving record, comfort driving a 7-passenger vehicle.
- Flexibility to regularly work evenings and weekends (including weeks on-call), to make one’s home in a residence hall apartment, and to be engaged in the residential communities in which they oversee.
- Passion for working with college students.
- Prior experience in cross-cultural programming a plus.
- Availability for full-time work schedule during two weeks of Residence Life RA staff training and residential student move-in from mid to late August, preferred.
- Provide live-in residence hall management and work with RA paraprofessional staff to deliver an array of engaging, educational programs for residential community; work out of office in residence hall while staying engaged with central office staff.
- Participate in the hiring, training, and supervision of resident assistant staff; provide direct supervision for 6-15 building RAs and oversee hall desk attendant operations.
- Participate in weekly campus wide on-call coverage rotation, including providing periodic transport to and from off-campus medical facilities in non-emergency situations.
- Assist with University events as needed and as available; primary commitment will be during First Blast (Labor Day Weekend), Homecoming (last weekend in September) and Last Blast (final weekend in April).
- Maintain records and submit appropriate paperwork for facilities concerns. Includes overseeing check-in and check-out procedures, damage charges, key distribution and collection and using online database system to track facilities concerns. Maintain an awareness of the building condition, safety and security, furnishings, and other equipment; provides leadership for resolving concerns.
- Serve as a residence life liaison with other campus agencies, including Facilities, Safety & Security, Foodservice, Athletics, International Programs, Career Services, etc.; seek assistance from Director as needed.
- Enforce and uphold all University policies and regulations to promote safety of residents. File incident reports as needed and serve as first-level student conduct officer to address conduct concerns in a developmentally appropriate manner. Serve as front-line professional staff responder in on-call campus duty rotation for a week at a time, approximately every 3 weeks; requires being available daily Monday-Friday 5pm-8:30am and 24/7 Saturday and Sunday to respond to student emergencies.
- Assist in the transition of international students, including English as a second language students, to the University and ensure needs are met; promote residential communities that bridge cultural differences between international and domestic students and promote an intercultural experience for all students.
APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS: Application material must include:
- Letter of application describing your relevant experience
- Current resume
- Copy of acceptance letter into the Master’s Program at Wheeling Jesuit University
- Contact information for three to five professional references
Wheeling Jesuit University
Director of Human Resources or email@example.com
316 Washington Avenue
Wheeling WV 26003
AS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER, WE ENCOURAGE APPLICATIONS FROM QUALIFIED VIETNAM ERA VETERANS, DISABLED INDIVIDUALS, MINORITIES, AND WOMEN