STATUS: Closed / Reviewing / Interviewing
POSITION OPENING: Dean of Graduate & Continuing Education
DEPARTMENT: Academic Affairs
DATE: June 20, 2014 POSITION: Full-time
FLSA STATUS: Exempt (Administrator) CLOSING DATE: July 14, 2014
POSITION SUMMARY: The Dean for Graduate and Continuing Education is responsible for all academic (credit) and (non-credit) programs serving adult and graduate student populations in both on-line and classroom settings. The Dean is expected to lead in the development of innovative academic and non-academic programs that meet the contemporary needs of the professions, organizations and industries served by Wheeling Jesuit University and in the expansion of the University’s reach beyond its physical campus and region through online learning. Specifically, the Dean will foster growth in the number and quantity of programs offered fully online, insuring that the national standards for online curricula and for faculty teaching online are met and exceeded. This position reports to the Academic Vice President and is part of the President’s expanded cabinet.
- A Ph.D. or Ed.D. from an accredited institution of higher education is required.
- Minimum 15 years’ experience in higher education as a faculty member and academic administrator, including at least 5 years of experience in administration at the level of department chair/program director/unit director of above.
- Demonstrated success in the entrepreneurial development of new graduate, adult, and online programs is highly preferred.
- Understanding and commitment to the mission of Wheeling Jesuit University, including service learning.
- Substantial experience in teaching and a commitment to academic excellence.
- A record of distinguished academic performance and professional service.
- Experience developing and managing budgets and personnel.
- Demonstrated experience with assessment, accreditation, service learning, and community engagement.
- Knowledge of strategic planning and the assessment of learning outcomes and institutional effectiveness.
- Demonstrated achievement and success in building teams and leading collaboratively to identify and create opportunities that offer students a vibrant education experience.
- Demonstrated excellent oral and written communication skills necessary for strong management and collegial relationships.
- In collaboration with department chairs or program directors as appropriate, plan, implement and manage all credit and non-credit graduate and continuing education programs.
- Encourage and supervise the development, marketing and launch of new credit and non-credit graduate and continuing education programs, with special emphasis on on-line programs.
- Direct the hiring, assignment, evaluation, development, retention, notification of non-reappointment, promotion and tenure of graduate or professional faculty members (in cooperation with the department chair or program director and with advice from Tenure and Promotion Committee).
- Participate in establishment of standards for graduate and adult admission, including the awarding of credit for prior learning or experience, and directing the activities of the Director of Enrollment for Graduate and Continuing Education.
- Develop, monitor, and adjust the budgets of the graduate, continuing education and online programs.
- Develop and implement, in collaboration with department chairs, program directors and the Registrar, year-round classroom and on-line schedules that are competitive with other institutions.
- Oversee the academic and non-credit certification of all graduate and continuing education students, including probation, suspension, dismissal, honors, and graduation. Develop and participate in the annual Commencement and academic convocations.
- Participate with Institutional Advancement staff in fundraising activities related to graduate, continuing education and on-line programs.
- Coordinate assessment and accreditation processes and the annual review and revision of the Academic Catalog.
- With the Academic Vice President, establish annual goals for graduate, continuing education and on-line programs and for personal administrative achievement.
APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS: Application material must include:
- Letter of application specifically addressing how the candidate will advance the mission of Wheeling Jesuit University
- Current resume
- Contact information for three to five references
Wheeling Jesuit University
Director of Human Resources or firstname.lastname@example.org
316 Washington Avenue
Wheeling WV 26003
AS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER, WE ENCOURAGE APPLICATIONS FROM QUALIFIED VIETNAM ERA VETERANS, DISABLED INDIVIDUALS, MINORITIES, AND WOMEN