POSITION OPENING: Mother Jones House Mentor and SSAC Assistant
DEPARTMENT: Service for Social Action Center
DATE: May 12, 2014 POSITION: Full-time
FLSA STATUS: Exempt (Administrator) CLOSING DATE: May 19, 2014
POSITION SUMMARY: Serves as a live-in mentor for the Mother Jones House. The Mother Jones House is an intentional Christian community service-learning residence housing up to nine college students. House members live by six core values: simplicity, faith, community, social justice, learning, and service. The Mother Jones House is guided by the Service for Social Action Center (SSAC) and Laughlin Memorial Chapel (LMC) Program Coordinators and an Advisory Committee. Assists the Service for Social Action Center with programs, including some evening work and work over breaks.
- Bachelorís degree and experience living in an intentional Christian community or residence life with various types of community service.
- A commitment to the Mother Jones House Core Values and have the ability to assist in student growth in relation to them.
- Experience with immersion trips and retreats helpful.
- The ability to communicate with undergraduate population and community partners; handle multiple diverse assignments; and maintain a sense of humor are essential.
- Excellent organization, verbal and written communication skills and work ethic.
- Driver license and ability to pass 12-passenger van driver training.
- Must be available to work some evenings, weekends, and over University breaks.
- Plan and lead an orientation for incoming students; 2 house retreats, and other program initiatives to advance the Mother Jones House mission.
- Schedule and conduct a weekly house meeting, and coordinate with students, house prayer and a community dinner on a weekly basis. Oversee students planning and delivery of informational programs for the campus community.
- To develop their commitment to the core values, the Mentorís role is to be accessible and available to mentor students in a Christian way of life; meet weekly with each student to check-in on class, service hours, and house concerns; and support the Director of the LMC in placing students at service sites, overseeing their performance, and fostering accountability.
- Insure that students abide by the university code of conduct; implement university protocol concerning health, safety and security of students. Coordinate weekly chores for the upkeep of the entire house; arrange for home repair or maintenance with the LMC and the SSAC; and track the various House budgets.
- Meet regularly with the Program Coordinators, SSAC and Campus Ministry staff, and attend Advisory Committee meetings and prepare a house update for their review. Address student concerns to Program Coordinators. Work with the Program Coordinators to strengthen relationships with East Wheeling leaders and neighbors.
- Assist the Service for Social Action Center by helping coordinate service programs and events; assist with the prison ministry program; and provide leadership on immersion trips over University breaks
- Track community service hours as well as collect other community service data.
- Develop relationships with community partners in and around Wheeling
APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS: Application material must include:
- Letter of application describing your relevant experience
- Current resume
- Contact information for three to five references
Wheeling Jesuit University
Director of Human Resources or firstname.lastname@example.org
316 Washington Avenue
Wheeling WV 26003
AS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER, WE ENCOURAGE APPLICATIONS FROM QUALIFIED VIETNAM ERA VETERANS, DISABLED INDIVIDUALS, MINORITIES, AND WOMEN