Counseling: Counseling Center Policy
||NEXT REVIEW DATE: August 2017
|APPROVED: August 2012
||REVIEWER: Compliance Coordinator
|APPROVED BY: William C. Rickle, S.J.
||REVISION DATE: November 2016
||REVISION NUMBER: 5
Support the campus community in individual counseling services with students and to the community at large as a source of consult, information, referral, and risk management.
2.1 Policy Statement
2.1.1 Counselor(s) at WJU are available as resources for all students, faculty, staff and administration. Counseling services will be provided both to the students as individuals upon their request and as a resource for other faculty, staff and administrative student referrals.
2.1.2 Information regarding the Counseling Center and the services provided is posted on the internal WJU Cardinal Page and is available through various orientations, trainings, and specific postings throughout the University.
2.1.3 Wheeling Jesuit University will provide counseling services, consult, information and referral from a Licensed Professional Counselor, preferably with the ALPS credential, to its community upon request and when need occurs.
2.1.4 All counseling services, aside from emergencies, will be managed on an appointment basis. Counseling appointments are managed confidentially by the counselors where and how the student prefers to be contacted.
2.2.1 LPC: Licensed Professional Counselor
2.2.2 ALPS: Approved Licensed Professional Supervisor
2.3.1 Availability / Accessibility of Counselors
- West Virginia Board of Examiners in Counseling: WVBEC posts a list of active LPCs and ALPSs at: http://www.wvbec.org/
- The University Human Resources Department will search for appropriately credentialed counselors through their established policies and procedures.
- Vacation, illness, summer leave, and incidents of urgency when Counselors are unavailable will be addressed by the Director of Safety and Security.
- The Human Resources Department will assist the Counseling Center with acquiring translation services as available through the WV Division of Rehabilitation services, Deaf Speak, and or other translation services when necessary.
- Counseling Services will be provided to students in physically accessible locations and in their preferred mode of communication.
- The counselors will work with the students to navigate their schedules for matches with the counselors availability in the most convenient time.
- The Counselors will provide information for dissemination to the campus resources identified in this policy.
2.3.2 Counselor as a Resource
- The Counselor will provide information, referral, and resource consults to all members of the university community.
- The Counselor will work in-concert with the Employee Assistance Program (EAP) contracted through Human Resources whenever employees are involved.
2.3.2 Modes of Contact
- The counselors will obtain from the students their preferred mode of contact.
- Records of student names and preferred modes of contact are protected by HIPAA confidentiality requirements. Copies of meeting dates and times may be made available after the student names are redacted.
The Director of the Counseling Center may change this policy at any time, with or without notice, to maintain compliance with changes in regulations. All changes must be approved by the Compliance Coordinator.