|SECTION: HR - Employment
||NEXT REVIEW DATE: July 2017
|APPROVED: August 2011
||REVIEWER: Director of Human Resources
|APPROVED BY: William C. Rickle, S.J.
||REVISION DATE: July 2016
||REVISION NUMBER: 2
Wheeling Jesuit University is committed to transitioning new employees to the University workplace. This transition is designed to make the employee comfortable within the University, provide information that will support individual performance and success, and help retain the individual as part of the campus community.
2.1 Policy Statement
All new employees should complete an orientation within two (2) business days of their official start date.
2.2.1 New employees must report to Human Resources at the start of their first day to finalize all required pre-employment documentation; select employees will also report to the Business Office. Human Resource Department representatives and the new employee's immediate supervisor will arrange the appropriate time to report to Human Resources.
2.2.2 The new employee's orientation plan will be specified in a "checklist" (and developed with the new employee's immediate supervisor) and will include:
- Human Resources: complete necessary pre-employment requirements, receive an orientation on and review policies and procedures, details on the performance evaluation process, receive an overview of and sign-up for benefits, and learn how to use the ADP system;
- Security: obtain a University photo identification card and parking permit
- Business Office: complete tax forms and receive an introduction into payroll systems policies and procedures, etc. NOTE: this action may take place in Human Resources Department rather than the Business Office.
- Information Technology: complete an assessment of the new employee's knowledge of the email system, provide an introduction into the University online systems, provide necessary passwords and receive or order necessary hardware.
- Direct Supervisor: a quick tour of the campus and a formal introduction into the employee's work place; a review of relevant departmental policies and procedures.
- Individuals assigned to the Facilities Department must receive a detailed orientation on the safety rules and requirements.
2.2.3 Human Resources will provide the new employee with the checklist to obtain signatures from all parties indicating each step of the orientation process has been completed. A signed copy will be stored in the employee's personnel file.
The Director of Human Resources has the authority to change, modify or approve exceptions to this policy at any time with or without notice and with the approval of the University President or designee.
Pre-Employment Documentation Policy