Employment: Pre-Employment Documentation: Remote I-9
|SECTION: HR - Employment
||NEXT REVIEW DATE: May 2017
|APPROVED: April 2015
||REVIEWER: Director of Human Resources
|APPROVED BY: William C. Rickle, S.J.
||REVISION DATE: May 2016
||REVISION NUMBER: 1
Provide specific instructions for off-site employees to comply with both policy and I-9 requirements.
2.1 Policy Statement
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services requires all employees to complete the Employment Eligibility Verification Form I-9 and present original documents establishing identity and employment eligibility no later than close of business on the employee's third day of employment. In addition, Section 1 of the form must be complete by the close of business on the employee's day of hire.
Prerequisites for Remote I-9 Completions:
- An employee who will work at a remote or off-site location
- An employee who is working in a state other than West Virginia and providing online instruction or services
- An employee who will not be on campus on or before their first day of employment
2.3.1 A process has been established to facilitate employer review and verification (completion of Section 2 or 3 on the Form I-9) for new employees meeting the prerequisites listed above. The employee must complete Section 1 of the Form I-9, and then he/she may present the document(s) to a notary public who will complete Section 2 or 3 of the form.
2.3.2 Follow these steps below to complete Form I-9 in Remote Locations:
- Employee: Complete and sign Section 1 of the Form I-9 no later than the close of business on your date of hire.
- Present your original employment eligibility document(s) as listed on page 3 of the Form I-9 to a Notary Public.
- The Notary Public will inspect the document(s) and complete Section 2 or 3 of the Form I-9.
- Notary Public will also complete the Notary Form and affix the notary seal on the Notary Form. This must be completed by no later than close of business of your third day of employment.
- There may be a fee for the Notary Public services. This fee is the responsibility of the employee.
- The completed original Form I-9, a copy of each verified document and completed original notarized Notary Form must be mailed to Wheeling Jesuit University, Office of Human Resources on or before your third day of employment. Faxed, scanned, electronic and duplicate copies are not acceptable. Original hard copies must be furnished.
Send To: Wheeling Jesuit University
Office of Human Resources
316 Washington Ave.
Wheeling, WV 26003
If you have questions or concerns, please call for assistance 304-243-8152
The Director of Human Resources has the authority to change or modify this policy at any time with or without notice and with the approval of the University President or his designee.
Pre-Employment Documentation Policy