Time Off Work: Inclement Weather/Safety Alert Team
Date to be reviewed:
The University Safety Alert Team will convene at the appropriate times and places to insure campus safety.
2.1 Policy Statement
- The University Safety Alert Team will consist of the following positions:
- Decision Personnel:
President's designee: The Senior VP; coordinates meetings and conference calls; makes final determination.
Advisory Personnel (in order of input into conversation):
Chief Academic Officer: Represents the academy, the academic calendar, and the days of instruction.
Chief Administration Officer: Represents operations, particularly on days when there are no classes.
Director of Campus Safety and Security: Discusses campus safety (prior to the call contacts police for status of roads leading onto campus and into Wheeling).
Director of Facilities: Discusses when the campus will be safe to traverse or use buildings.
Executive Director of Alumni Relations and Communications: Contacts local radio and television (prior to call to determine what others are doing; subsequent to the call to inform them of our action).
Executive Director of Athletics: Discusses athletic schedule of events.
Director of Human Resources: Represents the employees; interprets policy and addresses group concerns.
Dean of Student Development: Represents the students (prior to call contacts area coordinators for information and status; subsequent to the call notifies them of the team's decision).
Web Services Manager: Posts notices on web-site.
Telecommunications Technician: Posts verbal notices to the telecommunications system.
- There are three (3) types of emergencies:
- Inclement Weather Emergency: The team described above will coordinate all weather emergencies (follow 2.3.1 below)
- Imminent Threat: In the event a tornado warning is issued or a security concern occurs on campus (active shooter, hostage situation, etc.), the Director of Campus Safety will immediately take action and subsequently move to the top of the Decision Personnel to direct follow-up (follow 2.3.2 below)
- Facility Failure: In the event utilities or equipment fail in one or more buildings prohibiting use of those buildings(s) the Director of Facilities will immediately take action and subsequently move into the Decision Personnel level (follow 2.3.3 below).
- The Director of Campus Safety and Security is the primary individual to issue campus-wide alerts via the campus emergency alert system. The Web Services Manager is the first back-up in the absence of the Director of Safety and Security and the Associate Vice President of ITS is the third back-up in the absence of the other two.
- The Chief Administration Officer will need to coordinate emergency contact information with all contract services on campus and outside organizations using or renting space on campus; the Vice President of Mission & Identity will coordinate all communications with the English Language Institute. If necessary, the VP of Mission & Identity and the Chief Administration Officer can coordinate through the Web Services Manager or the Director of Campus Safety & Security to communicate emergency information.
- Safety Alert Team - Incumbents of the positions identified above will automatically be part of this team.
- Inclement Weather Emergency - A major weather event (snow, rain, flood, ice, winds, sub-zero temps, etc.)
- Imminent Threat - An imminent threat necessitating immediate action.
- Facility Failure - Major utility or equipment failure taking one or more buildings off-line for use.
- Essential Personnel - Employees in Facilities who must be on-site to prepare the campus for opening or to protect the physical plant from damage, Campus Safety & Security to protect the students and the physical plant, and food service personnel to provide food for students and employees restricted by the weather to the campus. Facilities and Campus Safety & Security will annually identify those employees for Human Resources to notify; food service contracts will specify that language in the agreement.
2.3.1 Inclement Weather Emergency
22.214.171.124 The University will monitor the National Weather Service for reports of inclement weather.
2.3.2 Imminent Threat
When an imminent threat occurs, the Director of Campus Safety and Security will immediately issue a campus-wide alert via the campus emergency alert system and report to the President's designee.
126.96.36.199 There are three (3) types of inclement weather emergencies and associated actions:
188.8.131.52 When a conference call is required, incumbents of the identified positions must call in 5 minutes before the scheduled time (a number and passcode will be provided to the incumbents). The President's designee will check that all are on-line or accounted for at the appointed time before the meeting commences.
- Advisory: Will trigger a conference call or meeting at 5:00 p.m. or at 9:00 p.m.
- Watch: Will trigger a conference call at 9:00 p.m. and possibly another at 5:30 a.m.
- Warning: Will trigger a conference call at 9:00 p.m. and possibly another at 5:30 a.m.
184.108.40.206 When an inclement weather emergency has been triggered, there are three (3) responses:
- DELAY: Per policy, there is a mandatory delay with classes beginning at 11:00 a.m. (Exception: Essential Personnel). When a DELAY is called a follow-up call will take place at 9:00 a.m. to determine if it should convert to a CANCELLATION or CLOSURE.
- CANCELLATION: Classes for students are cancelled for the day but all employees must report as close to their scheduled starting time as safely as possible (Exception: Essential Personnel).
- CLOSURE: The University is closed for the day and no student or employees are to report (Exception: Essential Personnel).
2.3.3 Facilities Failure
220.127.116.11 The Director of Facilities will notify, via phone during non-work hours, the President's designee, the Chief Academic Officer, the Chief Administration Officer, the Director of Human Resources, and the Director of Campus Safety & Security to schedule a conference call IF the failure will impact the work day / work week.
18.104.22.168 The team will discuss whether to DELAY, CANCEL or CLOSE the University.
22.214.171.124 Facilities Failures that occur during scheduled work days will be discussed immediately after the Director of Facilities contacts the President's designee to schedule an emergency meeting of the position incumbents identified in 126.96.36.199.
2.4.1. For all decisions to DELAY, CANCEL, or CLOSE the University, the following must be completed:
- The Director of Campus Safety and Security will issue an alert on the campus emergency alert system.
- The Web Services Manager will post a notice on the email and the University website.
- The Telecommunications Technician will post notices on the campus phone system.
- The Executive Director of Alumni Relations and Communications will post notices on the following:
- Television Stations: WTRF, WTOV, KDKA, WPXI, WTAE
- Radio Stations: WSTV, JACK (FM), WV Public Radio, WWVA/WOVK (AM)
The Director of Human Resources may change this procedure only with the pre-approval of the Safety Alert Team and the final approval of the President
Inclement Weather Policy