Date to be reviewed:
|Director of Human Resources|
Wheeling Jesuit University encourages employees who serve in the armed forces of the United States through full compliance with the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act of 1994 ("USERRA").
2.0 POLICY STATEMENT
The University will comply with the requirements of the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act of 1994 ("USERRA").
- Employees will retain reemployment rights up to five (5) years.
- Contributions will be made to the retirement plan if the employee makes the employee contribution or elective deferral. Employees may make up the contributions over a period of three (3) times the time of the military services, not to exceed five (5) years.
- Employees will be reinstated to the University's health care plan upon return from the military service. COBRA coverage will be extended for up to twenty-four (24) months to an employee and covered dependant(s) when the employee is absent from such employment due to military service in excess of thirty (30) days. Coverage excludes any illnesses or injuries related to military service. Employees and dependents are provided basic health insurance coverage through the military may elect to enhance their level of coverage by paying an additional premium. For military service of less than 31 days, health care coverage is provided as if the service member had remained employed.
- Salary will not be matched or paid during military service or training.
- Members of the military reserves will be granted a non-paid leave of absence to attend active duty or on required drills/training. Employees may choose to use vacation leave in order to receive their full regular pay in addition to military pay.
Employees should provide advance written or verbal notice to the University for all required Military Duty unless giving notice is impossible, unreasonable, or precluded by military necessity. An employee should provide notice as far in advance as is reasonable under the circumstances.
Job Rights for Veterans and Reserve Component Members