Date to be reviewed:
|Director of Human Resources|
Supervisors will assess the performance of all new hired and transferred employees to ensure that there is an acceptable level of performance and compliance with the job description and the University's mission and goals.
2.0 POLICY STATEMENT
2.1 All Staff positions have an initial trial period of ninety (90) calendar days; all Administration positions have an initial trial period of up to one hundred eighty (180) calendar days.
2.2 All employees will be formally evaluated at the conclusion of the initial trial period of employment in, or transfer to, a new position.
2.3 New Hired Employees
- In the event a "major misconduct" or two "minor misconducts" are documented at any time during this period a new employee may be terminated.
- In the event of unacceptable performance, deemed "did not meet objectives", at any time during this period, a new employee may be terminated.
- The new hire period may be extended an additional thirty (30) calendar days when performance is deemed to have "achieved some objectives; needs improvement". Such evaluation will be required at the conclusion of that extension.
- The final evaluation must be "achieved objectives" for an individual to be granted regular employment. An individual who fails to "achieve objectives" either at the conclusion of the initial trial period or at the conclusion of the extension will be terminated.
2.4 Transferred Employees
- In the event of unacceptable job performance, deemed "did not meet objectives", at any time during this period a transferred employee may be returned to his/her prior position.
- The transferred employee period may be extended for an additional thirty (30) calendar days when performance is deemed in to be "Achieved some objectives; needs improvement". Such extension is by mutual agreement of both the supervisor and Human Resources. An additional evaluation will be required at the conclusion of that extension.
- Should the final evaluation be anything but "achieved objectives", the employee will be either returned to his/her prior position has been filled. The employee will also receive the applicable rate of compensation for the position into which he/she is subsequently placed.
2.5 Evaluation Instrument
The new or transferred employee will be evaluated using the standard performance evaluation instrument as a guideline focusing exclusively on the "Review Essential Functions of the Position" section.
2.6 Job Descriptions
- All new or transferred employees must be reviewed on the relevant job description and acknowledge receipt by signing the job description on their first day in the position.
- All job descriptions will be retained in Human Resources for reference.
Nothing contained within this policy shall change an employee's at-will status or otherwise limit the University's right to terminate employment at will.
Performance Evaluation Policy