Date to be reviewed:
|Director of Human Resources|
Wheeling Jesuit University has a vital interest in maintaining a healthy and safe environment for its students, faculty, staff and visitors while respecting individual choice. Toward those goals, the University has designated both Smoking and Smoke Free areas. When the desire of smokers conflicts with the desire of nonsmokers, the desires of the nonsmokers will prevail.
2.0 POLICY STATEMENT
- "Smoking Areas" are areas on campus where smoking is permitted.
- "Smoke Free Areas" are areas on campus where smoking is prohibited.
2.2 Policy Statement
- Smoking is NOT permitted in ANY indoor area including, but not limited to, all areas inside of the University buildings and vehicles. There are NO exceptions. All indoor or confined areas are designed and designated as "Smoke Free Areas."
- Smoking is NOT permitted in outdoor facilities and other areas used for spectator sports, meetings, entertainment and dining including, but not limited to: exterior balconies or porches attached to buildings, areas within 25 feet of any building entrances, doors and windows (including Whelan Hall and CET) not designated as Smoking Areas, audience areas where people or spectators congregate, athletic fields and stadium grandstands, and outdoor dining facilities. These areas are designated as "Smoke Free Areas."
- Smokers must remain 25 feet or more from any door or window and must utilize designated Smoking Areas around campus buildings and entrances. Smokers must insure that smoke does not enter buildings. It is their responsibility to dispose of cigarette butts in the proper receptacles and not in garbage cans or on the ground.
2.3 Responsibilities of the Campus Population
- Smokers must respect the rights of non-smokers and smoke within designated Smoking Areas only. Nonsmokers must respect the rights of smokers to use the areas designated as Smoking Areas.
- Violations are to be reported to supervisors, Resident Assistants or the Director, Security, Residence Life-Student Development Personnel or other appropriate Wheeling Jesuit University Faculty or Administrative personnel.
2. 4 Coverage
This policy applies to everyone on the University campus including students, faculty, employees, contractors, vendors, visitors and others providing services to the University.
2.5 Campus "Smoking Areas" are designated as an attachment.
2.6 The University does not discriminate in employment based solely upon the use of tobacco products of premises during nonworking hours.
See Map of Designated Smoking Areas