As today’s job market has grown more demanding, many majors find that graduate school offers them an opportunity to further their education with the added benefit of increasing their marketability to potential employers.
Whether majors attend graduate school immediately post graduation or choose to wait a few years to better understand their career goals, it is important for students to consider all of their options. Graduate school allows majors to either branch beyond their field or further specialize within it.
“One of the benefits of going to graduate school is that you really get to harness what you want your career to be.”
Major: Computer Science; Minor: Professional Communications
Class of 2012
- Movin' On: Tips about Graduate School by Leo Charette
- Preparing Application Essays (Writing Center, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute)
- Princeton Review Provides information on Law, Business, Medical and Graduate School admission, as well as information on standardize testing.
- Careers and Graduate Study by Kevin Proudfoot of the University of Richmond. Great information on applying to graduate school in psychology.
- Getting In: An Applicant's Guide to Graduate School Admissions by David Burrell the purpose is to pass along ideas and information gleaned from experiences, other guidebooks, and the experiences of Kaplan students.
- Kaplan Online Helpful information applying to graduate school. Includes an overview of the various types of financial aid as well as general instructions for applying for aid
- Peterson's Education Center provides information on a variety of topics: Undergraduate, Graduate and Professional Study, Postgraduate Executive Education, Distance Learning Opportunities, Careers and Jobs, Financial Aid and Testing
- Wehrli's Law, Business, Medial and Graduate School Rankings Composite averages of the most recent & historical published rankings of graduate and professional schools. Includes comparisons between Gorman Rankings, National Research Council Rankings, U.S. News & World Report Rankings,and composites from other ranking systems.
- Graduate and Professional School Rankings from U.S.News & World Report
- Beyond College a section of the U.S. News & World Report. It includes the U.S. News & World Report rankings of graduate, and professional schools (business, law, engineering, and medicine); career resources; and financial aid information.
- Faculty Advice for Undergraduates Considering Graduate School by Phil Agre
Transitions Between College and Graduate School