The International Studies Program at Wheeling Jesuit University is an interdisciplinary major (or minor) comprised of the social sciences, modern and romance languages, theology, history, business and economics, psychology, and communications. The goal of the international studies major is to produce a critically thinking global citizen who is prepared to address the issues of life in an increasingly integrated world. A globalizing world has meant employers are searching for people with a cross cultural experience and profound understanding of diversity. Themes found in the major include, but are not limited to: globalization; economic, social and political development; international affairs; cultural literacy; and development of a second language.
Upon completion of the program students will:
- Have a better understanding of contemporary global issues (e.g. environment, development, conflict, population, migration, global economy).
- Have an awareness of cultural diversity.
- Have a clear understanding of political and economic relations between states.
- Place current global issues into proper historical context.
- Have a solid foundation in a foreign language of their choice.