Wheeling Jesuit University
Search
 
 
FAQ: General Information
How old is Wheeling Jesuit University (WJU)?
WJU (then Wheeling College) was founded in partnership between the  Catholic Diocese of  Wheeling-Charleston and the Society of Jesus of the Maryland Province in 1954.
 
How safe is WJU?
WJU is concerned about the safety of all members of its community and visitors to its
campus. The University provides a year-round 24-hour security patrol. Students can only
access dorm hall by swiping their Cardinal ID Card. During the academic school year, the
residence halls have a staff member on duty in the evenings. Each residence hall has on  
duty Residence Assistants, a Resident Director, and a Resident Jesuit for the campus. 
Safety and Security personnel are available to assist students, employees and visitors. For 
more information check out the Universities annual report on campus security issues. You
may also contact the Office of Student Affairs at 1-304-243-2257 or the Director of Safety 
and Security at 1-304-243-4453.
 
What does "Jesuit" mean?
The term Jesuit refers to members of the Society of Jesus, one of the largest religious 
orders in the Catholic Church. The Society of Jesus was founded in 1540 by St. Ignatius
Loyola, a Basque nobleman and soldier, who found God in all things. Today there are over
25,000 Jesuits serving the Church in 112 nations on six continents. Wheeling Jesuit 
University is one of 28 Jesuit institutions of higher learning in the country. 
 
How many of your students are Catholic?
About 60% are Catholic and the other 40% are from a large variety of denominations
across the world. Wheeling Jesuit University is rooted in the Catholic tradition, but we offer
a welcoming spiritual atmosphere for students from all religious backgrounds.
 
What does "liberal arts" mean?
Liberal Arts are studies intended to provide general knowledge and intellectual skills. 
Wheeling Jesuit “Core Curriculum” intends to provide all students, regardless of major, with
the skills that will enable them to pursue their own integral development and contribute to
the common good. The Core Curriculum intends to provide all students, regardless of
major, with the skills that will enable them to pursue their own integral development and
contribute to the common good. The Core Curriculum prepares students to think creatively
and critically, as well as to evaluate and construct clear arguments based on the rules of
logic. It prepares graduates to participate actively in society as scientifically literate citizens,
and to communicate effectively.

Calendar |  President's Welcome |  Virtual Campus Tour |  Services |  Financial Aid |  Campus Directory |  Apply Online


© 2014 Wheeling Jesuit University, Inc. • 316 Washington Avenue • Wheeling • West Virginia • 26003 • (800) 624-6992 • Legal
Website Powered by ActiveCampus™ Software by Datatel