An International student is a student who holds or will need to obtain a non-immigrant visa (F1). This checklist will assure you have all documents ready to submit with your application. An admission decision cannot be made until all of your documents have been received by the Office of Admissions at Wheeling Jesuit University.
- Completed undergraduate international application (freshman or transfer)
- Apply online at www.wju.edu
- Common Application
- Paper Application
- Original or certified copies of all academic records (transcripts, certificates, diplomas) in the original language of issue
- Freshmen students must provide official English translations of all academic records from outside the United States from a credential evaluation service provider. Evaluation must include GPA equivalence.
- Transfer students must provide all transcripts from colleges/universities outside the U.S. with English translation through a credential evaluation service provider. This must include course-by-course evaluation.
- TOEFL or IELTS score report (if English is not native language)
- SAT or ACT score report (if English is your native language)
- Copy of the ID page of your passport
Criteria for Regular Admissions:
1. High School diploma with GPA of 3.0 or higher.
2. If English is your native language, or the language used in your high school, you should submit either the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) or the American College Test (ACT). WJU requires an SAT score of 940 or higher (verbal and math) or an ACT composite score of 20 or above.
3. If English is not your native language, you must prove English proficiency by submitting one of the following:
4. Letters of recommendation and a list of extracurricular activities are encouraged.
a. Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): score of 80 on the iBT, 213 on the computer-based test, or 550 on the paper-based test. Transfer students applying for one of the allied health programs must score 92 on the iBT, 237 on the computer-based test, and 580 on the paper-based test.
b. International English Language Test (IELTS) score of 6.
c. SAT critical reading score of 480.
d. ACT reading score of at least 20.
e. United States freshman English class with grade of C or above on the official transcript.
f. High school diploma from a U.S. high school.
Wheeling Jesuit University will consider applicants for conditional admission if they meet the GPA requirement, but do not meet the English proficiency requirement. Students may opt to enroll in WJU's English Language Institute, a center for intensive English training. Proficiency certification by this program meets the English language requirement for undergraduate admissions. Once English proficiency has been obtained, students can begin university undergraduate classes at the start of the next term. A student conditionally admitted will be responsible for payment of ELI in addition to undergraduate costs. Approximate cost to attend ELI is $1,800 per month (tuition, room, and meals). Students must register to attend ELI online at www.wju.edu.