WJU Fast Facts
One of 28 Jesuit colleges and universities within the United Sates. Founded in 1954, we are the youngest in a legacy that started nationally with Georgetown University in 1789.
- Wheeling Jesuit is the first and only Catholic institute of higher education in West Virginia.
- WJU's campus is 65 acres and is supplemented by a 550 acre retreat and research preserve.
- In 2011 U.S. News & World Report's "America's Best Colleges" ranked Wheeling Jesuit University in the top five percent in the region and as the highest ranked university in West Virginia for the 15th consecutive year.
- Forbes Magazine's "America's Best Colleges" 2011 ranked WJU in the top 10% of the nation's best colleges.
- Total enrollment is approximately 1,400 students representing over 25 states and 24 countries. We have about 1,100 undergraduate students and 300 graduate students.
- The average class size is 18 students per class. Ninety-one percent of all course offerings have fewer than 30 students.
- WJU has a 13-to-1 student-to-faculty ratio.
- Ninety-eight percent of our students report that they interact with their professors outside of the classroom.
- More than 50 programs of study are offered.
- Over 30 student clubs and organizations that put on over 350 events a year.
- WJU offers 19 NCAA Division II sports, USA Rugby, and club sports such as Hockey and Cheerleading.
- Philosophy based upon academic excellence, service to others and educating the whole person.
- WJU is a national leader in undergraduate research with over 40% of undergraduate students participating in research projects (vs. a national average of 19%).
- Of those who applied, nearly 100% of students are accepted into graduate programs in law, medicine, and physical therapy.
- Over the past few years 100% of our students have passed their boards on the first try in the areas of respiratory therapy, nuclear medicine, athletic training, and nursing.
- In the 2010-2011 school year WJU students completed over 27,000 hours of community service.
- Freshman Class Statistics:
- Average GPA: 3.6
- Average SAT: 1018
- Average ACT: 23
- 2012-2013 tuition and fees: $26,390
- 2012-2013 room and board: $5,140