- Vera Barton-Caro
- Class of 1982
- RN, MSN, FNP-BC
- Vera Barton-Caro, class of 1982, is a nurse practitioner / nurse manager for Richard F.Terry MD, Inc., a full service cardiology practice and heart failure clinic in Wheeling, W.Va.
- Ms. Barton-Caro recently was inducted as president of The American Association of Heart Failure Nurses (AAHFN) at the organizationí s annual scientific meeting in Orlando, Florida. The AAHFN is a specialty organization dedicated to advancing nursing
education, clinical practice and research to improve heart failure patient outcomes. Heart failure is the groupí s exclusive interest and passion and is dedicated to set the standards for heart failure nursing care.
- In addition to receiving her BSN from WJU, Barton-Caro also earned her masterí s degree
in nursing from Wheeling Jesuit. She is currently pursuing a doctorate in nursing from
West Virginia University. Her research involves decision-making surrounding heart
failure patients and primary prevention internal cardio-defibrillator implantation.
- Barton-Caro is a published author and national speaker on the subject of heart failure.
She was awarded the State Award for Excellence in 2006 from the American Academy
of Nurse Practitioners. In addition to her leadership roles with AAHFN, she was elected
vice president of The Advanced Practice Nurses of the Upper Ohio Valley, co-chair of
the regional American Association Heart Walk and is an active member of The Heart
Failure Society of America, The Southern Nursing Research Society and The American
- Barton-Caro is a manuscript reviewer for Heart & Lung, The Journal of Cardiac Failure,
The Journal of Cardiac Failure, and The Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing.