The Chapel of Mary and Joseph
is a Roman Catholic chapel that serves the spiritual and sacramental needs of the Wheeling Jesuit University community. Weddings in The Chapel of Mary and Joseph
must follow the Rite of Marriage of the Roman Catholic Church.
To plan a wedding in The Chapel of Mary and Joseph
, please follow these steps:
Step 1: Determine eligibility.
- Determine eligibility.
- Make necessary initial contacts.
- Complete and return a Chapel Reservation Form and pay the Chapel Wedding Fee.
- Contact personnel necessary for the liturgy itself.
- Complete marriage preparation.
Step 2: Make necessary initial contacts.
- According to the directives of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Wheeling-Charleston, for a wedding to be celebrated in The Chapel of Mary and Joseph, one of the parties seeking to marry must satisfy at least one of the following qualifications:
- a full-time student, or the dependent child of a full-time student of Wheeling Jesuit University,
- a full-time employee, or the parent or child of a full-time employee of Wheeling Jesuit University, or
- an alumnus/alumna of Wheeling Jesuit University who has graduated within six months of the proposed date of marriage. [Other alumni must seek the special permission of the Director of Campus Ministry at Wheeling Jesuit University.]
- One of the parties seeking to marry (not necessarily the party who fulfills the criteria above) must be Catholic, and both parties must be free to marry according to the regulations for marriage of the Roman Catholic Church.
Step 3: Complete and return a Chapel Reservation Form and pay the Chapel Wedding Fees.
- Marriage Preparation: At least six months before the proposed date of marriage, the Catholic party must contact a Catholic priest or deacon in good standing (generally his or her local pastor) to arrange for the couple’s preparation for the Sacrament of Matrimony. The preparing priest or deacon is responsible for ensuring that all requirements of Church law with regard to marriage have been fulfilled, including securing any necessary permissions and dispensations. The Chapel of Mary and Joseph, the Office of Campus Ministry, and the Jesuit community at Wheeling Jesuit University do not normally provide such preparation. The preparing priest or deacon should follow the regulations of his diocese. If this is not the Diocese of Wheeling-Charleston (DWC), he must submit the completed paperwork to his diocesan chancery office which will forward it to the chancery of the DWC. In this case, the DWC will forward the paperwork to the Office of Campus Ministry. The preparing priest or deacon must ensure that the original copies of the marriage file are received by the Office of Campus Ministry at least one month before the celebration of the marriage. The Office of Campus Ministry will file these with the parish of record for the Chapel, St. Michael Parish in Wheeling.
- Chapel Reservation and Fee: At least six months before the proposed date of marriage, contact the Office of Campus Ministry (304-243-2385) to request the reservation of the Chapel. Once the Office has confirmed the couple’s eligibility to be married in the Chapel, and availability of the Chapel, we will send a list of instructions on proper use of the Chapel space and a Chapel Reservation Form. The form must be completed and returned to the Office of Campus Ministry, along with the Chapel Wedding Fees, within two weeks of receipt.
- Other room reservations: The procedures on these pages concern reservation only of the Chapel proper (i.e., the room with the altar). The Chapel Seminar Rooms on the lower level of the Chapel building may also be reserved by specific request through the Office of Campus Ministry. To reserve other rooms on campus, contact the Conferences Office (304-243-2002) for the procedure and fee.
Step 4: Contact personnel necessary for the liturgy itself.
- Return the Chapel Reservation Form and pay the Chapel Wedding Fees within two weeks of receipt. You will receive confirmation from the Office of Campus Ministry upon receipt of these two items. The Chapel is not considered reserved until a completed Form and Fee are received by the Office of Campus Ministry.
- Chapel Wedding Fees: Please contact the Office of Campus Ministry for the current Chapel Wedding fee. A fee will also be applied for Sacristan services (see below). Checks should be made payable to: Wheeling Jesuit University Campus Ministry.
Step 5: Complete marriage preparation.
- Official Witness: At least six months before the proposed date of marriage, contact a Catholic priest or deacon in good standing to witness the marriage. This person may be the same who prepares the couple for marriage. The official witness must contact the Office of Campus Ministry for instructions about delegation to witness a marriage in the Chapel of Mary and Joseph at least one month before the wedding.
- Music: Music must be fitting to the sacred character of the Sacrament of Matrimony. We prefer that musicians and cantors familiar with The Chapel of Mary and Joseph provide the music. The Office of Campus Ministry sometimes can provide names of available musicians and cantors. The couple preparing to marry is responsible for making arrangements and paying any fees.
- Other personnel: The Office of Campus Ministry will arrange for a Sacristan and Soundboard Operator. A Sacristan is required for any use of the Chapel; he or she sets up any microphones needed and operates the public address system of the Chapel.
- The couple intending to marry must complete all marriage preparation as required in the diocese of the priest or deacon who prepares them (usually the diocese of residence of the Catholic party).
- It is the responsibility of the couple to investigate and comply with civil regulations for marriage in West Virginia.