1. 911 -- The Wheeling Fire Department should be notified immediately for all medical and psychiatric emergencies by dialing 911 (dial 9-911).
2. Wheeling Hospital -- The courtesy van is available Monday-Friday from 7 AM until 4:30PM for students requiring lab work, x-rays, physical therapy, and doctor appointments at the surrounding medical office facilities at Wheeling Hospital. There are two (2) vans (7-3 and 9-5) available on a "First call-First Serve" basis. Jill Porterfield is the director and students may use the service free of charge by calling 243-711123. Pickup will be at the McDonough Center. Students are urged to call well in advance as the vans are in demand.
3. Ohio Valley Medical Center -- The Courtesy can is available Monday - Friday from 7:00 AM until 1:30 PM for students requiring lab work, x-rays at the surrounding medical office facilities at OVMC. Dave Welling is the director and students may use the service free of charge by calling 234-8343. Pickup will be at the McDonough Center. Students are urged to call in advance as the vans are in demand and are available on a "First call - First served" basis.
4. Tri-State Ambulances -- An "ambulet" (handicapped van) is available Monday-Friday from 8 AM until 5:00 PM to transport non-emergency, psychiatric cased, or handicapped cases to Wheeling Hospital or OVMC by calling 233-2331. The cost of each transport is currently $45.00. For after hours and weekend transports, a regular ambulance without sirens and lights is used by calling the same number. The cost for this service is $45.00 unless an emergency requiring life support occurs during transport (the cost will then increase to $150 for basic life support and $250-355 for advanced cardiac life support). Pickup will be at the site of occurrence (residence halls, etc.). Billing will be done through the Health Center or Counseling Center.
5. OVRTA -- Call for a bus schedule (approximate fare is 80 cents). The Advantage van is available for temporary or permanently handicapped students only by calling 232-2190. This van will follow Wheeling's bus routes by appointment and runs from 6 AM until 6 PM Monday-Saturday. The cost is $1.60 per trip and an application must be filled out (available in the Health Center). The application is good for three years and must be filled out 1 week in advance. Transports must be scheduled up to 24 hours in advance, operate on a first come-first serve basis and can be used for lab work, x-rays, doctor appointments, etc.
6. Yellow Cab of Wheeling -- this service can be used for doctor appointments, x-rays, or lab work at any time (day/night). Students must pay their own cab fares for this service. The cost from WJU to Wheeling Hospital is $2.50-$3 one way. The cost from WJU to OVMC is $5.00 one way. This service is available seven (7) days/week (holidays included) and 24 Hrs/day by calling 3232-5151. These fares are subject to change.